Ms. Kelly

It's taken me a few days to arrange my thoughts on this ever so controversial topic. My initial reaction to her excommunication was sadness, but not surprise.

I'm sad because I loved what she represented. She was a faithful, RM, temple going woman who was using tenants of the gospel that she loved to seek greater light and knowledge regarding her place in the kingdom. I can't say that I supported all of her methods, but I am so grateful for the extremely needed conversations that she started. I am grateful for her courage to stand up and ask.

I was saddened by the response of her leaders. I wasn't surprised, though. I wonder if she could really have been surprised. Being a lifelong member, she must have foreseen how some people would choose to misinterpret her actions.

And that is my only criticism of courageous Kate. That she let herself get thrown out of the church. Because in my mind, her greatest asset was her position as a faithful member of the church. That is what was so threatening to some people about her. She was on the inside.
You can't effect positive change in an organization you don't belong to.
I can't say what exactly she should've done differently, because I am not in her position. I do feel like even if her leaders were unfair, sexist, biased individuals she could have done some token gesture to appease them enough to save her membership.

I only say that because this is sometimes the only thing that makes me get out of bed and go to church. You can't help build Zion if you're not part of it. And that's why I feel like Ms. Kelly has lost her greatest asset in her cause.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ValHud to the Rescue!

Photos of Mormon women leaders in Conference Center

Attaining, Accessing, Using Priesthood Power