Re: I Don't Want the Priesthood

I actually couldn't sleep because this topic was so much on my mind, so I thought I'd just put it out here. Not that anyone actually reads this, but at least I can sleep better tonight.

I've been reading a lot of blog posts by LDS women proudly stating how they don't want the priesthood and they feel so fulfilled and respected etc., etc. Ok. Awesome.

Quick Sunday School question for all of you: What is the priesthood?
Answer: The power of God. The authority to act in His name, but also, the power by which He works.

Question #2: What is the point of this life?
Answer: To become like God... I'm gonna go ahead and assume that that includes at some point down the road receiving His power.

So... shouldn't all members of the church who nominally want to become like God at some point desire to receive His power? I'm totally fine with you saying you are supportive of the church leadership saying that for some unknown reason women aren't supposed to exercise it in this life, but it bothers me kinda a LOT when women, in their burning desire to show how UN-feminist they are, laugh off anyone ever wanting the Priesthood like it's this grievous burden to be borne. It seems like either it is the power by which the universe came into being and all saving ordinances are performed or it is an exhausting agenda of monotonous, early morning meetings, depending on what is the most convenient for your present argument.

So which is it non-feminist LDS women?! Do you, or do you not want to become like God? Because if you do, then you DO want the priesthood. At some point, anyway. And that's not an unrighteous desire! Abraham wanted the priesthood too! He sought for it actively!

I think a much more interesting question would be: If we believe that one cannot become like God without being married, and that God is an exalted man and woman... what is the power that our Mother in Heaven exercises? Is it not Priesthood or Priestesshood? What is it's nature?

A thought occurred to me which hit me like an absolute ton of bricks recently that I just can't seem to get off my mind: I do not know Who/What I'm trying to become like. True, I'm trying to become like Christ and ultimately inherit all that He has, and really that's enough to work on for this lifetime. But I can't become like Christ, can I? Not really, when it comes down to it. He's a man. I will never be a man. And our doctrines make it very clear that whatever role I play after this life will not be the same as a man's. I think it's a very powerful thought that the men in this church know Who/What they are working to become. The women... not so much.

They just have to trust that the reward that they have in store for them will be to their liking - and I must say it - in spite of a bit of evidence to the contrary, IMHO. It seems to me like some of this doctrine could really be fleshed out a bit more, just to clear things up.

Comments

  1. Abigayle, your train of logic is one I have often thought about. Because we hardly ever talk about our Heavenly Mother, or even just use the phrase Heavenly Parents, we don't think about or know much about her role and what she does and who she is and where she all comes into play with the Plan of Salvation. And I have often also thought, well, if I am to become like God, well then, at some point I have to be ordained to the priesthood. And then I think, well isn't that what the temple is all about? But why is the temple so different from the every day running of the church? And why did the church choose to take away the Relief Society's autonomy? And why do men preside at women's meetings when they're there? And why are women not allowed to give blessings like they did in the early days of the church? And why? And why? I am willing to wait, and I don't think demonstrations are going to do the trick, and I haven't like the very nasty conversations that I've seen by pro OW, against OW, the ones in between. *sigh* Basically, I have a lot of questions, and not very many answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my basic question comes down to: Can a woman become like God? And I think the answer is yes, we just don't know what that looks like for a woman. And my answer to that is: so... how can I become like someone I don't know and why would I want to? And honestly, the male/female set up in the temple is what causes me to worry that I won't like the answers to these questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "so... how can I become like someone I don't know and why would I want to?" Amen! I get where you're coming from with the temple set-up in part, but for me there is also a lot that is good and better than some regular every day set-ups as far as administering goes. Hopefully in time we can get some more substantial answers.

      Delete
  3. It really isn't the priesthood we want, but priesthood power. It the power of the priesthood (or the power of God) that changes people. I've never really felt like I didn't have access to that power in my life. In fact I think if it weren't for my Faith, many priesthood brethren I've asked to help me may have not had the power to help. I think priesthood ordination is more of an organizational thing. Our Heavenly Father and mother are one in the same. He wouldn't be God without her. His power exists because of her and who she is. Our sisters, both married and single, have much more influence on and access to the power of the priesthood than men do sometimes just because of their Faith and their obedience. I don't know for sure how it all works, but I've never felt like I didn't have the priesthood power in my life. And I know that I'm becoming like God as I use the Atonement in my life which is the ultimate manifestation of Priesthood power (God's power).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if we know and have felt God's love, we know what our Heavenly Mother is like. The longer I am married and longer I strive to be a more loving Christ-like partner, and my husband does the same, I feel God helping us grow together, and grow to become more unified, and more like each other. Its weird to think, but I know its true.

      Delete
  4. Lindsay, a lot of LDS people have opinions about MIH and the eternal destiny of women, but that doesn't mean we know the doctrine. You can know for yourself, and that's great, but I've been told by members in good standing that women will never hold the priesthood after this life, that their power will be confined to be eternally pregnant to populate worlds, that everyone in the C.K. will practice polygamy. And they can say those things because WE DON'T KNOW. I'm glad you have answers for yourself, but that doesn't fill the void of doctrine for the women of the church as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's interesting. I've never heard those opinions about the eternal destiny of women. I would assume there's a lot more ideas about "eternal life" seeing as we don't know all the details. However, I thought we did have doctrine about our eternal destiny as children of God, which includes both men and women. Generally speaking, it's given throughout the ordinances of the temple. I guess where your losing me is what do we NOT KNOW about women that we don't also NOT KNOW about men. These are genuine questions by the way, I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from?...Obviously on earth men are to "preside" at our church meetings and over our homes...are you wondering whether or not women will preside over women and their families in the eternities and what "ruling with our spouse" will look like?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ValHud to the Rescue!

Photos of Mormon women leaders in Conference Center

Attaining, Accessing, Using Priesthood Power